Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another LiveCD Use

One Christmas present for one of our kids is a particular device that connects via USB. When I connected it to my (Fedora 10) computer, I expected it to bring up a file browser showing the files on the devices. No joy.

I try plugging it into Melissa's (Fedora 8) computer. The file browser comes right up. So I think I may have found a regression in Fedora 10. Well, not so fast.

Here's where the LiveCD comes in. I bring up both computers with a Fedora 9 LiveCD I had hanging around. Still, the file browser comes up on Missy's computer, but not mine. So it seems it must be something other than a difference in the OS. The LiveCD served to eliminate an unknown factor in my problem.

Now I just have to figure out more precisely what the cause is. Both machines use the same model motherboard, and other USB devices do work on mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment