Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"Who Moved My Cheese?"

I was getting behind on my book-reading goal, so I decided to read a shorter book a few days ago. I read all of Spencer Johnson's "Who Moved My Cheese?" in a single day. A lot better than the last book I finished, that I had been reading on and off since 2006!

SPOILER ALERT
It is essentially a parable about two mice and two 'little people' in a big maze looking for cheese. The people became too accustomed to finding cheese in one place, until it disappeared. While the mice head off immediately in search of new cheese, the little people just sulk. One finally gets over it and starts looking for new cheese, and makes several important revelations along the way. This parable is couched within the story of a class reunion where the parable is discussed.

I would say the main moral of the story is 'change happens, go with it.' There are some other related lessons, though some of them feel a little 'psych-up', that attitude is everything. It emphasizes that change is good, but only gives lip service to the thought that some things really should not change. For instance, change away from a foundation of sound principles is something that should be resisted. I admit, the intended audience of this book is someone paralysed by the fear of change in employment or job description, not someone looking for their moral compass. For the intended audience, it is probably a good read, and is short enough to not be too intimidating.

While the author is no Aesop, it is fairly well written. Thankfully this book only cost me $1 at a book sale. The list price of $20 seems a little much, but the market price of $12 is perhaps fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment